Today Ryan went on a hike with my father and my nephew. What started out as a great time turned into a nightmare when Ryan fell over a waterfall, dropping 12 feet to a ledge, bouncing off that and dropping another 6-7 feet. My nephew accessed his injuries and helped get him to where my father was. Together they started carrying my son through the woods, trying to get to the main path.
My son’s ankle and foot were terribly swollen and seemed to have taken the brunt of the fall. He couldn’t put any weight on it. My father is 72 years old and got quite the workout, but after a while of slow-going Ryan just couldn’t go on. He was exhausted and possibly in shock from the trauma. At that point, my nephew Dan picked him up and carried him on his back. (Reminds me of how when we can't go on, God picks us up and carries us.)
Dan is a year older than Ryan, is taller than Ryan, but weighs less than Ryan! And he was carrying him! They had no water and it was hot and they were getting dehydrated.
Dan called us on his cell phone and told us what happened. They thought they’d make it to the main path in 30 min., but it ended up taking much longer. We finally went to meet them, but couldn’t get very close with the car. We’d taken water bottles, ice packs & ace bandages & ibuprofen along.
What did we do before cell phones? My sister-in-law, Donna, decided to meet them on the trail to give them water and help carry Ryan. She and my mom wouldn’t let me attempt the walk, even with my oxygen. All 3 of us had phones and kept touching base with each other. Again, what did we do w/o cells?
3 hours after Ryan’s fall (at least!), they made it to the car. Ryan threw up a while. They guzzled every bit of water, then we got Ibup. down him and Donna wrapped his foot in ice – she’s a missionary (they are recently home on furlough) and had First Aid training and stays very cool and calm in emergencies.
Donna went with me to the ER and helped get Ryan into the wheelchair and then helped him while I did paperwork and answered questions.
Let me back up and say for those of you who don’t know, Ryan has Aspergers. His anxieties were at an all time high and his nerves were so bad his whole body was quivering and he was in a panic continually about what they were going to do to his foot. Plus the pain was so bad.
He had an Xray of his foot and a CT scan of his head, plus they checked his body over for other injuries.
His foot is broken in 4 places. They said it’s quite crushed. Right now it’s in a splint and I have to call tomorrow about taking him to the surgeon. He doesn’t understand he will be having surgery yet and I’m afraid to tell him. He thinks they will just put a cast on, but doesn’t know the rest. He’s so terrified over needles and pain and all, he just totally melts down and I just dread this.
We spent about 4 hours at the ER. We are very thankful he wasn’t killed or hurt worse in a fall like that. My dad feels just awful about the whole thing.
Tonight he’s running a fever of about 100.8, so I’m scared to go to sleep. I gave him the intercom, to call if he needs anything, but I want to keep checking on him because of the fever.
One last thing, I called Ryan’s Karate Sensei while I was waiting for them to get Ryan up the trail to the car. He called to check on Ryan this evening and then came to the ER to see him. He is such a kind man and it meant so much to Ryan that he did that!
But no Karate, swimming, skateboarding, scootering, hiking for Ryan for most of, if not all of, the summer. I feel so badly for him.
(I took these pictures yesterday - he was having so much fun! He was using his zorries - flipflops - as brakes. I know - he should have had a helmet on!)



Sending thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry to hear about the accident.
ReplyDeleteWhat a scary thing to happen. I'm thankful he wasn't hurt worse and will be praying for him - and you.
ReplyDeleteOh my! I know you were scared to death! I'll keep you in my prayers!
ReplyDeletePraise God he was not hurt worse. How scary. I am praying all morning that today goes well with the DR and his foot. I know this will be hard and scary for him. I hope he handles the news as well as he can. And that they can get him started on a path of healing Fast.
ReplyDeleteThank the Dear Lord that it wasn't worse. What a day and night for you and for him. Keep us posted. I will keep him in my prayers!!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Lisa
Oh man that sounds painful. After being in that much pain for that many hours, I would go in shock too.
ReplyDeleteI hope he is feeling better.
My biggest scare yet was when Hunter jumped off the top bunk and hit his head on a moving ceiling fan. The cut didn't look too serious, but once we got to the ER they said it was deep to the skull and they had to do a lot of cleaning out before they could stitch him up.
I said a prayer for you guys!!! May God give you and Ryan peace...
ReplyDeleteoh my goodness, I am so glad he wasn't hurt worse. I am praying for you all today and also for your dad!
ReplyDeleteOh how scary for all involved...I am so sorry this happened to him. It really stinks that he will have to miss out on his favorite things through the summer. Last year my oldest son broke his leg in two places and his ankle during spring training for football. He was taken to the hospital by ambulance and had surgery the next day where they place two rods and 5 screws. The majority of last summer was messed up for him...he got his cast off around the middle of July. So we know how it feels and I am so sorry for your son. I know that you guys will make the most out of a bad situation though!Thank God that he is alive and will recover from this....it could have been so much worse (I know that you already know that). I will keep your son in my prayers that everything will go smoothly.
ReplyDeleteOh my!!What a day for all of you!I will pray for you and Ryan for the upcoming surgery and that all will go well.It sounds like he is such an active boy and I'm sure this will be a difficult few months.But tell him people are praying for him :)
ReplyDeleteI am so so sorry yet so very thankful it was not any worse than it is.
ReplyDeleteI felt like I couldnt get here fast enough to let you know you guys will be in my prayers...well this will be added to my prayers since you guys are already on the regular prayer list =D
Oh wow.. I can't imagine what you've been through the past 24 hours. I'm praying for Ryan and for all of you! Just said a prayer now!!!
ReplyDeleteOh.My.Goodness! I'm so sorry and I hope he is better soon!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a horrible thing to happen!
What a blessing that it wasn't worse!
I'll keep you and Ryan in my prayers for sure!
I just got a chance to visit blogs this week and read this. I am so sorry! I'll be praying for Ryan and for you and your husband. What a terrible thing to have to go through!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry! I am so glad though that the injuries were not worse! God was watching over him. I'll definitely be keeping him as well as you and your husband in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteI can relate a little bit..my brother about 3 years ago went rock climbing and fell about 40 feet onto the ground. He broke both of his legs and one arm, and had immediate surgery and was house-ridden all summer long! So I know how terrifying Ryan's fall must have been for him!!
OH MY I am glad he wasn't hurt worse you guys have my thoughts and prayers! I hope he has a speedy recovery.
ReplyDeleteI'm sending thoughts and prayers your way...{{{{hug}}}}
ReplyDeletePoor Ryan! Poor YOU!!! I know how scary it is when your child is sick, scared, or hurt. So thankful he is OK. I will be praying for you as you prepare to tell him about the impending surgery. It'll be ok....I just know it!
ReplyDeleteSleep well tonight!